I remember when Black Friday was a mere myth in the UK retail market and I would often be jealous at this time of year with the prospect of our US counterparts being able to take advantage of ridiculous sales!
But soon came the day when the UK (finally) caught onto the sales phenomenan. Each year the UK Black Friday sales get better and better. Do I think they outweigh the January/Xmas Sales? Hmmm, I think they are about the same but there are still some retailers who need to catch up providing proper sales for Black Friday. I think right now most use it as a pre Xmas sale teaser. But for electricals, Black Friday wins hands down as the best time of year to take advantage of the huge slash in prices.
Even though I find Black Friday great and have purchased amazing deals, there are still so many people who fall short each year, mainly due to a lack of knowledge and preparation. I mainly source all of my Black Friday deals online. I’ve never been the biggest fan of purchasing my items in store and like to stay away from the hustle and bustle.
- Create a wish list – It sounds pretty cliché but for Black Friday, you need to be uber prepared or you will fall short and miss out on the good deals. Create a realistic….and I mean realistic list of all the items you NEED, not WANT. This will a) prevent you from buying unnecessarily. You can do this by simply bookmarking links for ease.
- Find the stores you will be purchasing from – There are tons of articles with details of all the retailers who will be taking part in Black Friday.
- Try to find a store which will cater to all your needs i.e. a department store, especially if you plan to shop in store rather than online. This will minimise your chances of a. having to go to numerous shops and missing out on deals. B. you will be able to get everything or most things in one without the need for a strenuous day in Oxford Street.
- It’s not the end of the world if you miss out on deals. Save the items you missed out on. 100% sure they will be on sale again when the Xmas sales start up and probably with an extra slash to the prices. Also, Cyber Monday is where a lot of the retailers further slash their deals online. So you may be lucky enough to get your desired item with an additional discount.
- Don’t expect to rock up at the store you want to get your items from at 12pm when the store opens at 8am. Check the store opening times, and you may need to camp out ahead of time in order to get the bargains. I preferably do not seek instore Black Friday sales as I’m not a fan of the large crowds, and inability to move freely, see and pick the items that I want…..plus I don’t fancy my face being plastered on the news, wrestling for a TV loool.
- Think it will be there later on – NO it won’t. In fact, 10 mins later and the item that you want, will be gone….vanished….off the shelf. Don’t waste time. Add it to your basket and check out as soon as you can.
I know some of you will still be a bit sceptical about whether you should really be buying anything in the Black Friday sales. But if you have an occasion or things you need to get, it really be beneficial for you. For example, if you are having a baby, this is your time to seize on the deals! Places like Argos, Mothercare, Amazon and department stores will have you most things you need with a fraction of the price taken off.
It’s also a very good way to seize on buying Xmas presents. This year im playing Grinch and really won’t be buying more than 2 presents. Year after year (even with exhausting the sales) I spend a ridiculous amount on presents which left my pocket empty AF.
My list is as follows:
- Dyson Cordless vacuum
- New Microwave
- Braun IPL
- Sony A600 camera
- Adidas Presto
- Zara Check Maxi Coat
- Puffer coat
So who’s taking part?
All Saints – Use promo code ‘Cyber’ instore or online to get 30% off all items. *Already started
Sneakerboy – 30% off with BLKFRDY30 code
Packer Shoes – Instore and online discounts of up to 50% off
Livestock – Offering 40-70% off all stock.
Very – Up to 40% off high street brands; Up to 20% off branded toys; Up to 30% off beauty brands. *Electricals sales to end at 8pm on 24th Nov.
Maplin – Approx £30 off a lot of items. *Already active
John Lewis –Not yet released but they will be taking part.
Argos – Amazing deals on offer. Some items, you are able to get over £100 off. *Already active
Marks & Spencer in stores and online – here’s a taste of last year’s M&S Black Friday deals with 50% off M&S fashion collections, homewares and more.
GAME – you’ll find console deals, the latest video games including FIFA 17 on offer and more..
Boots in store and online. Discounts not yet known.
Holidays – Most airlines will be providing good deals on flights and holiday packages. Last year, I narrowly missed out on flights to LA for £180….RETURN flight. Check all airlines!
SELFRIDGES – Get 20% off with voucher code ‘SELFCCE’; the code can be used in store or online from 23rd to 27th Nov. *Selected items only, *Already active.
OFFICE – Use the code ‘WONDER’ on all items. *Already active.
NIKE – Use code ‘XMAS16’ to get 30% off. *Already active.
ASOS – 20% off everything. Enter ‘Gogogo’ at the checkout.
AMAZON – Amazon have already started their deals early.
HALFORDS – Bikes, Sat Navs, you name it….if its mechanical or to do with cars, its included in the sale. Prices are being cut from £30-70 per item depending on the item.
CURRYS – The home of electricals! Based on the preview, you can get around £100 off for items.
ZARA – 20% off Coats, Dresses, Jeans and Shoes
NET A PORTER – 25% off selected items, applied at the checkout
MANGO – 20% off all items
JESSOPS – Up to 20% off selected items
KAREN MILLEN – 25% off everything. Applied at the checkout
MISSGUIDED – 50% off everything *limited time only. Enter ‘Gogogo’ at the checkout
MANIERE DU VIOR – Up to 50% off selected items
KAI COLLECTIVE – Up to 50% off.
LAVISH ALICE – Use ‘Cyber30’ for 30% off
OH POLLY – 50% OFF for 24 hrs only!
AQAQ – Up to 40% off on selected items
Good luck guys! Drop me a mail with what you got!